From the Misty Village of Rajapukhuri to Bharat Mandapam: My Emotional Journey at Viksit Bharat Young Leaders Dialogue (VBYLD) 2026

Gyanjyoti Nath at Bharat Mandapam

I Still remember the quiet mornings in Rajapukhuri, a small village in Kamrup district of Assam. The air carries the scent of wet earth and distant tea gardens, and life moves at its own gentle pace. My father runs a small business, my mother is a homemaker who holds our family together with endless love and patience, and I have one little brother who looks up to me with bright eyes. Growing up in this simple setting, dreams often felt too big for someone like me. Yet, here I am an 18 year-old who had just passed Class 12 standing at the majestic Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi, representing Assam at the Viksit Bharat Young Leaders Dialogue (VBYLD) 2026.

    This journey did not begin with confidence. It began with a simple decision to try.

        It all started in September–October 2025 with the Viksit Bharat Quiz. Over 50 lakh youth from across India participated. The competition was incredibly tough. I sat in my village home, phone in hand, answering questions without any expectation. I was just participating for the experience I never imagined I would clear it. But one day, a message popped up: I had been selected for the next round the Essay Writing competition in November.

        The topic I chose was close to my heart: “Women-Led Development: The Key to Viksit Bharat.” I poured my thoughts onto the screen, drawing from the strength I had seen in the women of my village and across Assam. After submitting, I waited nervously. Then came the news - I was selected for the State-level PPT round.

Gyanjyoti Nath at VBYLD STATE LEVEL

    The numbers were shocking. From nearly 1 lakh participants in the earlier stages, only around 500 were chosen for the PPT across 10 tracks. My heart raced. This was December 12, 2025. I went to the Assam Department of Sports & Youth Welfare office in Guwahati for the presentation. It was my first time ever standing on such a stage. My hands were shaking, my voice trembled at the start. I had never done anything like this before. I presented with everything I had. Two respected jury members (both ma’ams) listened carefully. They appreciated my thoughts, my style, and the passion behind my ideas on women-led development. But they also pointed out that I had gone one minute over time. My heart sank. I left the room thinking I had failed. “This is it,” I told myself. “Better luck next time.”

        A few anxious days later, the result came I was selected ! The joy was mixed with fresh nervousness because I learned there was still one more hurdle: the Interview round on 19 December, 2025. Only 8 people per track were called. I was shaking that day. I had never given a formal interview before. I prepared less than I wanted to because of limited resources and time, but I told myself, “I can do this.” I went in, spoke from the heart, and came out hoping for the best. We returned home. Life continued.

Gyanjyoti Nath at VBYLD INTERVIEW ROUND

    Then, next evening, I was in Guwahati for a prize distribution and award ceremony. On the way back, I was driving my scooty with my father. The road was jammed with traffic, horns blaring everywhere. Suddenly, my phone rang. A friend excitedly said my name had appeared in the final selection list for representing Assam at the national level in Delhi. I was shocked. Before I could process it, she said the PDF had been deleted. My heart dropped in fear. I rushed home, checked my phone again and again. Nothing. Then, after a few tense moments, the official list appeared: only 37 young leaders from Assam had been selected to go to Bharat Mandapam. Tears rolled down my cheeks. I cried like a child. My parents cried too. For our simple family, this was a historic moment no one in our circle had achieved something like this. 2025 had been a tough year filled with sadness and setbacks, but this news felt like a warm ray of light at the end of a long tunnel. That evening, our small home in Rajapukhuri was filled with tears of joy, hugs, and prayers of gratitude.

        Before this entire journey, I had completed a communication skills and English course offered by ITC Limited in collaboration with Anudip Foundation. That training helped me tremendously it reduced my stage fear and improved my confidence. Without it, standing on those stages would have been even harder.

        On 7th January 2026, the day began with great excitement and a sense of responsibility. In the morning, we first gathered at the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports (MYAS) office in Guwahati for a brief but highly motivating meeting. Nandita Garlosa Ma'am, Ankur Bharali Sir, and other senior officials along with NSS representatives guided us, shared valuable insights, and boosted our morale with encouraging words. It truly felt like a flag-off ceremony, leaving us energized, proud to represent Assam, and fully prepared for the journey ahead.

Gyanjyoti Nath With Nandita Garlosa ma'am
& Ankur Bharali Sir

    Later that day, we had the honour of being invited by the Honourable Governor of Assam, Shri Lakshman Prasad Acharya, to Raj Bhavan (Lok Bhavan) in Guwahati. As part of a 37-member youth delegation, we were warmly welcomed and felicitated by the Governor. He interacted with us personally, gave his blessings, and motivated us to contribute meaningfully towards the vision of Viksit Bharat @2047. The highlight was the elegant High Tea hosted at the beautiful and historic Raj Bhavan. The warm hospitality, the graceful ambiance, the thoughtful conversations, and the delightful refreshments made the entire experience truly memorable and special. It was an inspiring and graceful moment that left a deep positive impression on all of us.

Gyanjyoti Nath | Felicitated by Hon’ble Governor
Shri Lakshman Prasad Acharya

Some Glimpses From LOK BHAVAN

    After returning home in the evening, the excitement for the next day became even stronger. On 8th January, I was scheduled to take my very first flight from Guwahati to Delhi. Since the morning of the 7th, my mind had been filled with anticipation. The entire night I could hardly sleep a mix of nervousness, thrill, and happiness kept me awake. I kept thinking about how it would feel to be up in the sky for the first time: the takeoff, the view of the clouds, the cities shrinking below, and the new experiences waiting in Delhi. There was a strange but wonderful butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling, like a perfect blend of excitement and a little fear. It was an unforgettable sleepless night, full of dreams about the big journey and the prestigious program at Bharat Mandapam with nearly 3,000 young leaders from across India. The next morning, with my heart racing and eyes shining with enthusiasm, I boarded the flight INDIGO 6E930, ready to step into this life-changing chapter. Everything felt new and magical.

Gyanjyoti Nath - INDIGO FLIGHT

        Soon after landing in Delhi, we checked into our hotel - Mayda Inn. This was also my first time staying in a hotel, and I still remember every moment vividly. The clean, comfortable rooms, the warm lighting, the polite staff, and the lively atmosphere made me feel like I had stepped into a different world. Most importantly, I made some wonderful friends from across Assam they felt like family right from the start. We laughed, shared stories, helped each other, and created instant bonds that made the entire stay incredibly enjoyable and comforting. Exploring the hotel area together, chatting late into the night, and experiencing this new environment added so much joy and excitement to the trip.

        The program ran from 9th to 12th January 2026 at the grand Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi, where nearly 3,000 selected young leaders from across the country had gathered. Every morning started early we would wake up around 5 AM, take a quick bath, and have breakfast by 6 AM. Delhi’s winter chill (around 5-6 degrees) made the mornings crisp and refreshing. At 7 AM, we would board a VIP bus and head to Bharat Mandapam. The evenings usually wrapped up between 6-7 PM, after which we returned to the hotel, tired but happy, sharing the day’s highlights with our new friends.

ASSAM CONTINGENT

    On the first day, we stepped into the magnificent Bharat Mandapam, which felt truly enormous and impressive with its vast halls, sleek modern architecture, and an inspiring atmosphere. The entire venue buzzed with energy as nearly 3,000 young leaders gathered from across India. We thoroughly explored the grand complex, moving through its massive corridors and beautiful spaces. As part of the program, we presented our PPT, sharing our ideas and vision as young leaders from Assam. Standing on stage in front of such a big audience was both nervous and exciting, and the positive response gave us a great boost of confidence.

Due to some unavoidable circumstances, we could not visit the sacred relics of Buddha that day, even though the special exhibition was creating a lot of excitement in Delhi. Still, the rest of the day remained packed with energy, new learnings, and a strong sense of motivation.

Some Glimpses From BHARAT MANDAPAM

   The second day started with fresh energy after our early morning routine. After breakfast, we boarded the VIP bus and reached Bharat Mandapam. The main highlight was the insightful interactive sessions with domain experts. We first listened to Chhavi Rajawat Ma'am, India’s first MBA Sarpanch from Rajasthan. She shared her inspiring story of leaving a comfortable corporate life to lead her village through tough times focusing on water conservation, roads, education, and women’s empowerment. Her practical experiences on grassroots leadership and rural development were truly motivating.

We also had a lively session with Shagun Parihar Ma'am from Jammu & Kashmir, a young and dynamic leader. She spoke about the challenges in border regions, youth participation in nation-building, and creating a stronger, united India. Both Ma’ams answered our questions patiently and gave us useful tips on real leadership and resilience. We learned a lot about turning difficulties into opportunities and the importance of local-level action.

Later that day, we visited the PM Gallery. It was a special experience walking through it for the first time. The gallery beautifully showcased India’s journey under different Prime Ministers with old photographs, historical documents, portraits of leaders like Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi, and others, along with key milestones and achievements. We saw exhibits on major initiatives, infrastructure growth, space and technology advancements, and the continuous progress towards a developed India. The displays mixed old and new elements in an engaging way, making us feel proud of our nation’s story and even more inspired to contribute to the dream of Viksit Bharat @2047. We spent good time there, discussing the exhibits with friends and clicking memories.

Some Glimpses From PM GALLERY

    The third day turned out to be one of the most vibrant and memorable days of the entire program. It was filled with colourful cultural programmes that beautifully showcased India’s diversity through energetic dances, traditional music, and performances from different states. The atmosphere was electric, with everyone clapping and cheering together.

That day, we had the privilege of listening to two outstanding speakers. National Security Advisor Ajit Doval Sir delivered a powerful and thought-provoking session. He spoke about national security, drawing lessons from history after the 1990s, and explained how India has strengthened its strategic position over the years. He shared real-life examples of security challenges and gave practical advice that connected directly to our daily lives like the importance of awareness, discipline, and strong decision-making in every field. His straightforward style motivated us to develop inner strength and contribute responsibly towards a secure and developed India.

We also had an inspiring session with astronaut Shubhanshu Shukla Sir. He shared fascinating details about his experiences in space the challenges of a typical day aboard the spacecraft, the rigorous training, and the breathtaking views from orbit. He described how the Earth looks from above, including stunning scenes of India at night with city lights sparkling like jewels, the green atmospheric glow, thunderstorms and lightning flashing below, and the mesmerizing sight of our planet sometimes appearing upside down. His stories filled us with wonder and encouraged us to dream big in science and technology.

In the evening, we attended a special dinner at an MP’s residence hosted by Sarbananda Sonowal Sir. He welcomed us with immense warmth and genuine Assamese hospitality, serving delicious food and ensuring everyone felt completely at home. The highlight was the heartfelt conversations he interacted with us one-to-one, listened to our thoughts, and shared his own experiences. He also felicitated the participants, which made us feel truly valued. Many of us from Assam proudly wore our traditional cultural dresses that evening, adding a special touch of home. On the bus ride back to the hotel, we played Assamese cultural songs and danced joyfully together it was a fun, proud, and emotional moment that brought us even closer. The entire day left us with deep gratitude and unforgettable memories.


Gyanjyoti Nath With Sarbananda Sonowal sir,
Union Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways
 

ASSAM CONTINGENT WITH SIR

      The final day of the convention at Bharat Mandapam was a profound transformation of the entire atmosphere. While the previous days were defined by formal blazers and professional attire, the fourth day was a breathtaking celebration of India’s true identity. It was mandatory for every participant to represent their roots through their state's traditional cultural dress. As the 37 of us from Assam stood in our ethnic attire alongside youth from every corner of the nation from the vibrant turbans of the North to the intricate silks of the South it felt like walking through a living map of our country. I spent the day interacting with peers from diverse backgrounds, exchanging stories of our homes, and capturing photographs that represented this "Mini India." For a young leader from Rajapukhuri, seeing such unity in diversity under one roof was a powerful realization of our collective strength and shared vision for a developed nation.

Gyanjyoti Nath - Traditional Attire

    As the sun set on our final day at Bharat Mandapam, a bittersweet sense of accomplishment filled the air. Saying goodbye to the majestic venue felt like concluding a chapter where we had grown immensely in just a few days. We returned to Mayda Inn for our final night in Delhi, where the formal boundaries of the program dissolved into deep, meaningful reflections. Many of us stayed awake throughout the night, choosing to spend our final hours together sharing the personal journeys, struggles, and aspirations that had brought us to this national stage. There was a sense of profound bonding as we realized that while we represented different states, our hearts beat for the same goal. By the time we prepared to leave for the airport the next morning, saying "Goodbye" to the city of hearts felt deeply emotional.

        The final departure from Delhi was perhaps the most heart-wrenching part of the entire trip. On the morning of January 13th, the atmosphere at Mayda Inn was heavy with a silent, emotional weight.

Our bond with the hotel staff and the dedicated volunteers had grown so deep in just a few days that they felt like our own family. These were the people who had looked after our every need, guided us through the massive halls of Bharat Mandapam, and stood by us through every challenge. When the time came to leave at 7:00 AM, the professional boundaries completely vanished. As we stood in the lobby preparing to board our transport to the airport, the sight was incredibly moving both the young leaders and the staff were openly crying. Seeing the volunteers, who had worked so tirelessly for us, break down in tears as they said their final goodbyes was a testament to the genuine connection we had formed. Their care and hospitality weren't just a job; it was a kindness that touched our souls.

Gyanjyoti Nath - The Final Bye

    The emotional journey continued even after we landed. When our flight finally touched down in Guwahati and we walked through the airport, it was time to say the hardest goodbye of all to my fellow representatives from Assam. We had traveled together, represented our state together, and dreamed together. Standing there in the Guwahati airport, exchanging final hugs and promising to stay in touch, the tears flowed freely again. We weren't just a delegation anymore; we were a family tied by a historic experience.

Leaving the airport to head back to my village, Rajapukhuri, I felt a profound sense of change. I was returning to my parents and my little brother not just with stories of a big city, but with a heart enriched by the love and tears of people I had only known for a few days, yet would remember for a lifetime.

        Standing there at the intersection of my past and my future, I carried more than just a certificate. I carried the quiet resilience of Rajapukhuri, the unconditional warmth of my family, and the vibrant spirit of Assam. At Bharat Mandapam, the Northeast was not just a participant it was a celebration. This experience gifted me more than just knowledge; it gave me a new perspective on my own potential and friendships that feel like they’ve lasted a lifetime.

        To every young dreamer reading this whether you are sitting in a small village like mine or in a bustling city never underestimate the power of a single step. The path to greatness is often messy. It is full of nervousness, self-doubt, blaring traffic jams, and the heart-stopping fear of 'deleted PDFs.' But if you keep showing up with sincerity, the universe makes way. Platforms like VBYLD are proof that talent from the grassroots doesn't just belong on the national stage it thrives there.

My journey from the simple lanes of Rajapukhuri to the majestic halls of Bharat Mandapam is just the beginning of a lifelong mission. The road toward Viksit Bharat 2047 is long and demanding, but I return home with a heart full of gratitude, renewed energy, and a hope that is truly unbreakable.

Through these words, I have tried to share a glimpse of my VBYLD Diary - the raw emotions, the struggles, and the triumphs of a journey that changed me forever. I leave Delhi not as the same boy who arrived, but as a young leader ready to serve.

Jai Hind. Jai Aai Axom.

Let us all walk together toward a brighter, stronger, and more inclusive India.


ASSAM CONTINGENT - THE LAST PHOTO



📸 VBYLD DIARIES – Full Gallery

⇄ Swipe / Scroll to explore


Date of the Event: January 7 - January 13, 2026

By: Gyanjyoti Nath

Location: Delhi





#VBYLD2026 #ViksitBharat #ViksitBharat2047 #FromRajapukhuriToBharatMandapam #AssamYouth #WomenLedDevelopment #NationalYouthFestival #YuvaShakti #NortheastPride #MyBharat #SarbanandaSonowal #ViksitBharatYoungLeaders


© Gyanjyoti Nath | Personal Archive

Comments